Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Post number 2.0 You're really a professional photographer?

Why yes, I am!!!!  It has taken me a looooooong time to get here, but finally, I can say I am getting paid to do what I love.  (btw, check out my site at www.brownfotobug.com)

I have had a camera in my hands since I was about 7 or 8.  Always got in trouble for taking "too many pictures."  Always snuck my parents' Minolta and then their upscaled Nikon as I got older, too.  But back in the late 70s and early 80s, it was really expensive to take pictures.  And you had to be very picky in what you were taking pictures of and how many pictures were left on your roll.  Now, I hand my kids each their own digital camera and let them shoot away.  3000 pictures later and if they don't turn out, you simply delete the ones you don't like.  Don't want to print them?  No problem!  Save them to an external hard drive and go through them in about 20 years. 

Digital photography has come so far so fast.  And it's going farther even faster.  With nanotechnology changing at lightning speeds, we have the insane ability to capture life in a completely overdocumented, all encompassing, mesmerizing, instantatneous way.  In other words, we can capture our current life, share it with the world, and see what everyone else sees right this second.  I do this to help me remember events from the past year, what my children looked like as babies, remember those that have passed away.  And it's not just for adults.  Kids as young as 7 or 8 can use their iPods/phones/etc to capture their life growing up in ways we've never ever seen before.  I wish I had this opportunity when I was a kid.  There are things I wish I could remember from my youth. 

But now that I'm an adult, I can take pictures of whatever I want.  Whenever I want.  I can capture my own kids.  Capture sports and events.  Capture my parents.  Capture nature.  Capture live music.  Capture everyday objects.  Capture life.  And I think that's the whole point of photography.  Capturing that in which we can't retain.  Capturing our memories.

Happy Capturing.............

No comments:

Post a Comment